Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lost: Season 4, Episode 1 "The Beginning of The End"

The fourth season is finally off and running, and obviously I have some new questions. Just a quick run-down until I have a few minutes for a deeper examination and hi-def screen caps.

- Who are the "they" which are refered to many times in this episode? (Did I phrase that right?) "They" need you. Are "they" still alive? (creepy fake Oceanic lawyer dude). I can assume it means the "Oceanic Six," but could it in a far off way mean the ones who were left behind on the island? We don't know at this point if they were killed... of course that could change as the show goes on (whenever that may be after these first 8 episodes). What we do know is that Hugo was rescued even though he went with Locke. We also know that he knows something... some sort of secret that Jack wants to make sure doesn't get out. We also know that Hugo's Flash Foward happened before Jack's (see the Season 3 finale) because Jack still somewhat had it together and had not yet grown his beard.

- Who are the other members of the "Oceanic Six?" We know of Jack, Kate, and Hugo. Didn't Claire show up in a vision as being off the island? I can't remember. If that is the case, would Aaron count as the fifth? And could that also mean that the person in the casket was the sixth?

- It's was nice to see Charlie. I wonder how often we might see him as he is now the island's official reeper of sorts calling those who got away back. And why would the island need them there? Is it because that is where they belong and in order to keep everyting copasetic in the universe, they need to be back on the island (in a Final Destination kind of way? Fate catching up with them and pulling them back.

- Not wanting to get ahead of myself, but do you think that Kate falls in love and marries the rescuer (I think he said his name was George McKowski)? Maybe that is how they are able to get off the island. He falls for her and stowes her, and the other five away and the ship. Later, whoever that group is finds out about the stow-aways and goes after them. Just a thought... but like I said, I don't want to get too far ahead.

- The whispers at Jacob's cabin. I need to listen again... and probably a few more times after that.

There is still a lot to discuss and I will be digging into the episode again tomorrow. Right now I'm waiting for the heavily hyped Oceanic commercial that is supposed run during the "Eli Stone" premier. Nothing yet. And I still haven't cracked the "Vantage Point" puzzle... arggggghhhhh...

11 comments:

Sherpa Mike said...

The "They" can't be the Oceanic Six. In Jack's flash forward he talked about flying a lot with the "golden ticket" oceanic gave them. Obviously the survivors are not hiding.

Also the more I think about it I think Sawyer is the guy in the coffin. He isn't Jack's friend or family but would be someone Jack might to go to the funeral for. Sawyer has no family (no one else showed up). It wouldn't be hard for Sawyer and Kate to have a falling out that would lead her to say "Why would I go?"

MsYvone said...

I've been looking at the website from the Oceanic Air commercial, and its led me to find815.com. Its another online supplement thread/game. It makes you think that they are looking in the Sundra Trench in the northern Indian Ocean.

The thing that suddenly dawned on me, is ... They emphasize that the plane crashed on September 22nd, 2004 and that they've been there 91 days. That puts them at December 22, 2004. The devastating Tsunami that originated in Indonesia will occur in 4 days. Will that factor in to the story line?

Aaron said...

We also got a quick glimpse of Jacob (or something resembling a dude in a rocking chair). I guess Locke has himself a new drinking buddy!

Man, Hugo is messed up!! The only I thing I don't get about Charlie showing up is the fact that another dude told Hugo that he was there...unless THAT guy is a figment in Hugo's imagination as well.

The Oceanic Six...we know half of them...who are the other three?

I kind of like Sherpa Mike's theory about Sawyer being in the casket. That's a good possibility.

Another big question....if dude says that rescuing the castaways isn't their primary objective...what IS? Hmm...

Why did Naomi tell them everything was cool? Did she genuinely want to get them off the island?

Ben, Ben, Ben....he just doesn't quit, does he?

I thought that Detective looked familiar (Anna Lucia's old partner). Why would Hugo deny knwoing Anna Lucia?

So many questions....and they better damn well answer every last one of them in the next 40 episodes.

--a.

Sherpa Mike said...

""Another big question....if dude says that rescuing the castaways isn't their primary objective...what IS? Hmm..""

My thought is that they are from Dharma or Hanso. Ben has been hiding the island and they haven't had contact with their people and want to take back over.

Lisa Kay said...

What a great episode!

A few answers given, a few more questions we now have.

I got a couple of screen caps of last night's episode posted on my blog, including one specifically of "Jacob" sitting in his chair - and I think I know who he is!

Tripp said...

That makes perfect sense that Hanso/Dharma would want to take back over after being cut off during the "Purge." Of course, perfect sense isn't always the case as we have seen with this show... and yet, sometimes it is.

My HD capture stick worked well and I will be going back through the show tonight. I did get one pic of the eye that pops up in Jacob's cabin. I need to adjust the light a bit, but it looks like the figure has hair unlike Locke, for those thinking it was Locke's face. I'll double check tonight. I didn't see the rocking chair frame. I'll check that as well.

Leslie said...

Hi All, great episode. If you can Google, Dark UFO, and his page is fantastic, with recaps, and screen caps etc. even whispers....
I liked the episode, in true LOST fashion now there are more questions than answers. I still find myself yelling at the screen telling Jack to stop acting like an ass...
on Dark UFO's page he's got a close up screen cap of the "eye" that hurley sees.
My hubby (who is up much earlier than me,) found that Addamon, that guy that went and saw Hurley, his name has something in hebrew to do with death or "place of destruction".... grim reaper type I suppose.
Now that the camps are dividing, they are going to be in big trouble I presume.
Love it!...Rousseau, punching Ben again...
Sawyer being a nice guy, different but welcome.
I think the theory of Dharma/Hanso wanting their island back is a good one. Ben killed them all and blocked the island for sometime now, they are probably trying to do "everything" they can to get it back.
okay that is all for now. stay lost!

Tripp said...

I think the BIG question(s) that may run the rest of the series is "What Exactly Happened On The Island when the rescuers arrived?" Why is it a "secret" between Jack and Hugo, and probably Kate? And if Hugo went with Locke, how did he end up as one of the Oceanic Six?

I think we are all assuming based on Ben's statement that they are going to come in and "kill us all." If it is Dharma coming to get the Island back, then they may very well be ready for a fight. Perhaps Jack is able to convince the other...uh...others...that they are the survivors of Flight 815 and not a part of the "Purge" crew. There is still so much that needs to come out and will "eventually."

Another coffin theory, what about Rose? Something happens to Bernard, but she gets off the island... and in doing so, her cancer returns. Hell I don't know... this cold medicine is really kicking in now *sniff*

I do like the Sawyer in The Coffin Theory from Mike, though. If I don't pass out early, I'll be back later with some screen caps and more.

lostgirl said...

Ok, I'm confused about a couple of things. First, why would Locke allow Ben to come with him, when Ben shot him and left him for dead?

Also, Hurley clearly heard the whispering at the cabin and it looked like he saw Jacob in his rocking chair. Locke could only hear Jacob. So does that make Hurley more "special" than Locke?
What do you guys think?

KigerKat said...

Here's a theory (as if there aren't enough!)...

What if the person in the coffin is either Ben or Locke? When Jack went to the viewing, he had an expression of regret on his face. Kind of like, "Why didn't I listen to you?" Those two men would do anything to stay on the island, so it would be completely ironic if they were taken home. And we have all seen what kind of irony they like to throw in there!

Bader said...

eeeh guys do you know who was the guy in the rocking chair as Jacob? If you pause the moment hurley peeks inside the cabin. He sees CHRISTIAN SHEPARD as the man in the chair !!!!