Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lost: Season 4, Episode 3 - "The Economist"

Sorry Dude? Sorry Dude!!!??? I was just starting to feel sorry for Stay Puft when it was unvield that he was part of Locke's trap.



I'm not sure why I started this weeks blog with Hurley tied up in the closet. I guess it was just bugging me. So we now know four of the Oceanic Six: Jack, Kate, Hugo, and now Sayid. We also know that Ben got off the island...



... but he can't be one of the six. This is just more evidence that he has always been able to come and go from the island and travel to both where and "WHEN" he wants to go; hence the cash and passports:





I can't really read the passport, but it looks like it's from Switzerland. So, Sayid works for Ben in the future huh? Perhaps they made their alliance over Locke's Iced Tea while incarcerated in the Others outpost. I wasn't completely sure it was Ben who was in the Flash Forward because it seemed to me he was doing his best John Malkovich impression while speaking. Anyone else notice that? The one thing we really don't know is when the Flash Forward is happening. It is sometime in the near future, but were they trying to throw us off with the ancient beeper? I had the same make and model in 1989.



At first I thought Sayid became/becomes a contract killer when he returned. That's kind of the way it was playing out when he off's Mr. Avellino on a golf course in the Seychelles.



FYI: (and a special thanks to wikipedia) The Seychelles are a nation of 155 islands in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa north of Madagascar. I will have to research more to see if these islands have any direct significance to the storyline.


Let's talk about Daniel's "payload." Oh wait... first let me bring up Minkowski (who we haven't met yet, but know that he was too busy to come to the sat phone in the last episode). The reason I bring up his name is because I caught some of last weeks episode "enhanced" this week. The lower third said that George Minkowski is an homage to Hermann Minkowski, a German mathmetician who introduced space-time. Here's a link to the wiki on space-time I'll let you read it because it makes my head hurt, and then I start to drewl. Back to the payload. Interesting how the clocks are off like Einsteins watch in Back To The Future.




There is about a 30 minute diffence between when the payload was to arrive and when it actually did. There is an interesting line in all of the space-time stuff from the link above that states, "the strength of intense gravitational fields which can slow the passage of time." Hmmmmmmm...

Daniel's experiement partner on the freighter is Regina. She is also the one who says Minkowski can't come to the phone. There has been some talk on some of the forums suggesting that perhaps Minkowski has either been killed or subdued by Ben's "man on the boat." Frank tells Daniel to hang up if Minkowski picks up the phone. I take it he wouldn't approve of the "payload" experiements, and I say experiements because it seems that Daniel has been conducting them back on the freighter as well. Regina with an "R." Could she be the RG on Naomi's bracelet?


"N, I'll always be with you, R.G."

And now that I have gotten to the bracelet, surely Sayid wouldn't have given the bracelet he took off of Naomi to Else, would he? Maybe she was wearing a similar one to show that she was working for the same people as Naomi... whoever they may be.



It probably contains some sort of tracker chip.

***uh oh... gotta run. Be back later with more***

5 comments:

Sherpa Mike said...

Ben always said, "we're the good guys." He and Sayid appear to be protecting the the other 5. I don't think Oceanic is trying to "off" them. They wouldn't have given them a big settlement just to kill them. I'm still leaning Dharma.

I wonder if the "rescuers" are the first Dharma replacements. They need to get rid of Ben to continue their research.

Jeff White said...

Have you (and everyone else) noticed that Harold Perrineau - Michael - has been in the credits every episode of Season 4 so far?

I suspect that not only is Michael Ben's inside man on the boat, but it was his voice we've heard occasionally over the satellite phone.

Jeff White said...

Another subtle notice...The Lost logo in promos and such shows the island reflected in the water as a city skyline.

Any theories as to what that is?

lostgirl said...

I have a polar bear theory. Ok, think about the whole global warming issue for a minute. You know how the ice is melting and the polar bears are having to swim farther out to find food and are drowning? Well, maybe the Dharma people or the Others were experimenting to see if the polar bears could adapt and survive in different climates (the desert where Charlotte found the fossil of a polar bear with the Dharma collar). They must have been observing them and testing their intelligence. Remember Sawyer's cage? Tom said it only took the "bears" 2 hours to figure out how to get a fish biscuit. Maybe they were trying to save the world one polar bear at a time. Just some food for thought.

KigerKat said...

I haven't missed an episode so far, but there are many details I can't remember.

What exactly was the purpose of the Dharma Initiative - or is that part still a mystery???

Their original research obviously halted once Ben and the original inhabitants killed off the entire population of "Dharmanians," yet the new people that were brought in (Juliette) still continued some kind of research.

I also think that the Dharma Initiative does not want the general public to know who they are or what they were doing, and Sayid is killing them in the future.

And I totally agree that Michael is Ben's "man on the boat!" Michael had made a deal with Ben to leave, and as we can see with Sayid this can mean working for him in the future.

I read somewhere that the show only got 8 episodes finished before the writer's strike and they aren't likely to finish the other 8 until next year. Michael is supposed to make his re-appearance in the 8th episode, which will make for a nice "season" finanle.