Friday, February 29, 2008

Lost: Season 4, Epsiode 5: The Constant

"Your perception of how long your friends have been gone... It's not necessarily how long they've actually been gone."
-Daniel Faraday. (December 24, 2004)

Happy Holidays to all of the Losties out there! It's Christmas Eve on the Island... oh wait... perhaps it's not. We don't know what time it REEEEEAAAAALLLYYY is on this island which appears to be inside a Faraday Cage. You can also read all about the English chemist and physicist, Michael Faraday, his constant, his law of induction and more... but be sure you have a "constant" of your own before you begin reading or you may suffer an aneurysm like George Minkowski.

My vision of Minkowski was so wrong, and he had such a short-lived role. Was it me or did anyone else flash back to 1985's "My Science Project" when they saw that Minkowski was played by Fisher Stevens? A movie oddly enough about time travel. Maybe it's just me. Of course when I asked someone if they remembered him in that movie they said they only remembered him from "Hackers." I could get off on a tangent here on Matthew Lillard, but I won't.

There was so much revealed in this episode, yet it was so confusing to me I had to watch it twice, and it's a good thing I did because I missed a lot the first go around. For starters, I was thinking the ability to travel through time was going to be a physical occurrence, but it turns out to be more of higher state of consciousness (hang on... *clicking play on Josh Wink's "Higher State of Consciousness" because I need a little background music.* I can hear this track pumping out of Room 23 at some point). Desmond 1996 travels into the future to join us in the present (according to the show timeline), whereas George (even though it was never specified) is time jumping from the present to the past. I only assume this because he says at one point, "I just got off a Ferris wheel." This makes me think that he is going back to when he was a kid. Just think, if you could harness the power and control where you go or "jump" (uh... Ben... hello!) you could become a very powerful person: the grand supreme being of the fountain of youth.

If all of that Faraday stuff didn't give you a headache, you may be able to draw a conclusion that time maybe stands still on the island due to the magnetic field. We already know that the time is off. I was talking to someone the other day and they had a better grasp on the Faraday stuff, and had proclaimed they had solved the show. I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Not so fast. All of this certainly plays a role in grand scheme, but there is much more to it. For all we know, it could be one person who has caused everything in the present to happen they way it has. Is Jacob really a ghost or just stuck between subconscious dimensions? Maybe he jumped on too many times with out having a brain aneurysm. Does that even make sense? I'm so freaking confused.

I know I'm late on my blog this time (what's new?), so I will just stick to a small list of stuff I caught when I watched it through a second time:

1. Helicopter Coordinates = 40 Miles N @ 30.5 Degrees, Then 7 K East.

2. The storm took them off course by 1/2 degree (31 degrees)

3. The freighter was named "Kahana." I did a search for it and found the book "Kahana: How The Land Was Lost." I think it's more of a political book, but I thought the title was interesting.

4. Keamy is from Vegas, and Omar is from Florida.

5. The last known port of the freighter was Fiji, so they are still in the Souht Pacific.

6. Who's the guy on the bridge with the binoculars? Is that the Captain? And if he is, wouldn't think he would be a bit more in tune with what is happening on his ship. If some one sabotaged the communications on my ship, I would be all over it. Are they keeping secrets from him? Does Ben's "man on the boat" have something to do with it?

7. George Minkowski was the communications officer on the Kahana.

8. I wonder why they were under strict orders to never take Penny's call?

9. Set device to 2.342, ocillating at 11hz. (Daniel's experiment with Elloise). The numbers are showing back up: 2.342 - 23,42.

10. The Black Rock returns as a painting (March 22, 1845)being auctioned by Southfield's, Lot 2342 of course. Mr. Widmore, bidder #755 wins the items with a bid of $380,000. The journal was written by the the first mate (I wonder if Richard is that first mate)and previously belonged to the family of Tobar Hanso. It's contents have never been made public.

11. Just for fun, the next auction item belonged to Charles Dickens.

12. Penny's Address = 423 Cheyne Walk (Numbers again - 4,23)

13. Penny's Phone Number = 7946-0893 (I heard this was a live number for the game).

14. Penny knows about the island. How much and what does she know?

15. Desmond is Daniel's Constant. Daniel was subjected to a lot of radiation with all of his experiments. He may start to "jump" as well if he leaves the island and passes through the magnetic field or storm. He met Desmond in the past and knows where to find him if he jumps.

Sorry it took me so long to get this up. My life has been consumed by the Disney contest I am in. For those who haven't heard, I entered the Disney and CareerBuilders.com Dream CMO contest to become the CMO for the Year of A Million Dreams. This is essentially an ambassador position and will get a chance to do some really cool things for others and make some Disney magic and lifetime memories. I made the Top 10 and now the vote is public. If you get a chance, please click the banner below and throw a vote (or a thousand) my way. They are letting you vote as much as you want until March 22. Please book mark the link and vote often.

9 comments:

Aaron said...

You pretty much covered everything, my friend....oh wait, you did leave one thing out....Fischer Stevens was also "BEN" in the two "Short Circuit" movies. You know, Johnny 5 is alive? That's the guy!

We're still voting several times a day for you....the other 9 people are fake and don't stand a chance. Kick some ass!

Sherpa Mike said...

Definitely a great episode. If they're in a Faraday Cage, why did Ben have to use the looking glass to block transmissions?
Radiation must play apart in "jumping." That must have been what happened when the hatch exploded. I wonder what Des's connection to Charlie was that he was only seeing his death?

KigerKat said...

I haven't watched last night's new episode yet, but I did watch the "enhanced" repeat of this one. Tripp hit on the Hanso reference at the auction, but I didn't notice the numbers playing a role again.

My husband and I were wondering the same thing about how many days it has really been on the island - is it really Christmas? I think it must be, since Penny had her Christmas tree up and was expecting Desmond's call on Christmas Eve.

This episode definitely had me scratching my head! Looking forward to watching the new episode tonight!

And good luck on the CMO contest, Tripp! You've got my votes!! You own the CMO!!

lostgirl said...

I saw a screen cap of the auction, and I'm pretty sure I saw Ms. Hawkin on the left. Here's the link:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_pG1kU-zfuxM/R8eHvwnj81I/AAAAAAAAAJ8/VAAj4YYOwck/s1600-h/screen-capture-2.jpg

Also, I think Daniel fried his memory from all the radiation from his experiments. He wore a vest during the Eloise experiment and Desmond said, "What about your head?" and he just shrugged it off. Maybe Charlotte is trying to help him improve his memory with the playing cards. Remember Daniel's flash forward where he was crying in front of the TV showing footage of the underwater oceanic 815 wreckage? A woman asks why he's crying and he says he doesn't know. I think his memory issues will come into play somehow.

naomelixes said...

Very cool, you've said much, but, about Kahana (the name of the ship), I think it refers to Amalia Kahana-Carmon, a Nobel-Prize winning author with a book called (ta-da!!!) "Magnetic Fields".

Just thought it'd be interesting to point out.

mckennah said...

you ok?? where is last week and this weeks post?? worried about you

Sherpa Mike said...

Tripp,
The Disney thing and your vacations can not get in the way of your blog. Now back to the keyboard!

tmaret said...

Hey Tripp,

It must be St. Patty's day week and you must be in Savanah. Looking forward to you getting back on. I have voted for the Disney thing each time I check to see if you have updated. Good Luck!

T. Maret
Peachtree City

Unknown said...

You missed the Jewish fictional novelist by the name of Kahana who wrote ' Magnetic Fields' and other novels, very Lost orientated literature.

Jo
Lancashire
England